As you can imagine, as parents, getting out without the kids is not always easy. Sure, it helps to have teens as home. We can easily bargain with them to babysit the younger three.
Cheap Date Ideas
We trade off so they have a decent social life and we get some time alone. Although, even then, our date nights are often limited by our budget. We have to get creative and think outside the box.
But we consider the time together important to our relationship… so we make the time and work things so that the budget works. Our marriage thrives because of it and it is essential to keeping the spark alive even as parents.
Even if you have to settle for cheap date ideas, that does not mean they can not be fun and full of craziness. In fact, I think they make everything better. More spontaneity and spunk only improve the relationship, right?
So, think outside the box. Explore new ideas. New possibilities. You may discover some great activities you never thought you would enjoy.
- Attend a local high school or theater group performance
- Go geocaching
- Spend a night stargazing under the stars
- Walk through a Nature Preserve
- Scavenger hunt through a local mall or town square
- Cheer at a local sporting event
- Find a perfect location for watching the sunset
- Camp out in your backyard
- Share a conversation over a cup of coffee
- Attend a local karaoke night
- Dollar Date: Each person gets $1 to spend at a store on the other person
- Go visit model homes in a new community
- Set up a projector and watch a movie under the stars in your backyard
- Take a test drive in a new car you dream of owning one day
- Go roller-skating… and hold hands during couple skate
- Take a drive around town
- Visit a local park and enjoying playing together
- Take in a dollar movie and split a popcorn
- Spend some time at a local beach or pool
- Find free events in your area such as concerts, market days, street fairs
- Bury a time capsule together
- Take a dance class at a community center
- Find a nearby film festival to attend
- Volunteer together
- Sit in the food court of the mall and people watch
- Build a blanket fort in your room and enjoy the space afterwards
- Take a bubble bath together after the kids are in bed
- Have a progressive meal: each course at a different restaurant
- Go dancing
- Take a drive down memory lane
- Lay in the grass and find cloud animals
- Take out the crayons and coloring book and color a picture for each other
- Have a pillow fight
- Lip sync a movie: watch a movie with no sound while you become the character’s voices
- Take random pictures of you both at different spots throughout the city
- Walk through the botanical gardens holding hands
- Jump on a deal site and find a budget-friendly hotel room
- Dig out gift cards and use them
- Look up local deals on a phone app
- Lock your bedroom door and play truth or dare
- Have a board game tournament
- Catch up on a tv series together
- Play Frisbee golf together
- Get your kids involved: Have them serve you dinner restaurant-style
- Recreate your first date
- Have an in-home spa night and pamper each other
- Take a historic tour of your city
- Play a game of hide-and-seek
- Check Groupon for a new local dining experience
- Attend an amateur comedy show
- Personal drive-in: grab a tablet or laptop, popcorn and drinks, and set in your car in the driveway watching a movie
And now… more to add to my list of reasons I still love my husband:
26. He thinks of me… often. I know by the surprise treats he brings me when he is out.
27. He finds happiness in the little things. And this makes things easier for me.
28. He makes the best cup of coffee… which is important to my shear existence every night.
29. When necessary, he is open to constructive criticism. This is helpful since I tend to give it more than I should.
30. The kids adore him… and that alone makes him the sexiest man. Nothing better than watching him be an amazing daddy to our children.
What are your cheap date ideas for parents?
What is your biggest dating your spouse challenge?