Disclosure: Our Family Lifestyle is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.
As a homeschool family, we host our own events just like the girls would have if they attended public school. One event they loved while in school was outdoor field day games, so Colby and I decided it was a challenge we were up for and the kids will love.
Field Games for Kids
Colby was all over this outdoor field day games event. In fact, he was more than ready and so were the kids! We were armed with balloons, sidewalk chalk, jump ropes, and more for each of the games and activities we had planned.
With our supplies in hand and a solid plan, we began setting up our field day stations.
This is just a sampling of the epic field day game list we put together for our day filled with family fun day activities.
Water Balloon Toss – Fill up balloons with water. Stand about a foot apart from a partner. Toss the balloon. After each successful toss, one partner takes a step back. Game stops when only one team has not popped their balloon.
Water Relay – Take a few plastic cups and poke small holes in the sides. Next, fill a bucket or ice chest with water. Set buckets about 10 yards from bucket of water. Have each child grab a cup and fill with water.
They must then carry the cup of water over their head towards the empty bucket. Repeat. The first one to fill their bucket to the top and to cross the finish line wins this water field day game. Not to mention, it’s an easy and fun water activity for hot summer days!
Goal Kick – Using sidewalk chalk, we drew a goal with various points on our fence. Then, have the kids line up and take 3 goal kicks to gain points. The child with the most points after three kicks wins.
Simply blow up balloons and have the kids pop them by sitting or jumping on them. They really had a blast with this one!
Plus, as we researched more ideas, we came across a great selection of various other fun field day activities.
- Bean Bag Toss – If no bean bags, compromise with another item around the house. Large bowls or buckets make perfect targets.
- Parachute Game – No parachute? Use a large sheet while playing with smaller groups.
- Egg and Spoon Race – Each child races to the finish line carefully carrying an egg in a spoon! If the egg falls, the racer must head back to the starting line and start again. Feel free to substitute an egg for a marshmallow, rock, toy, potato, etc on this classic field day game idea.
- Sack Race – Burlap bags not laying around your house? Grab a few large pillowcases and get to hopping!
- Tug-O-War – You only need 2 people and a rope while showing your strength in this fun outdoor field day game. Go!
- Bean Bag Horseshoes – Play as you would horseshoes by tossing bean bags as close to inside of hula hoops as possible.
- Hula Hoop Contest – Start the music and see who can hula the longest.
- Limbo – How low can you go? A broomstick makes a perfect limbo stick. Turn this classic kid game into an entertaining competition for the day.
- Yard Bowling – Fill empty 2 liter bottles with a small bit of rice (sand, water, etc) and position as bowling balls. Use a ball to knock them down.
- Watermelon Seed Spitting – Give participants pieces of watermelon. The one that can spit their seed the furthest wins.
- Long Jump – A starting line and measuring tape are all you will need to find out who can jump the furthest distance.
- Balloon Squeeze – Without using their hands, a team must carry a balloon between their stomachs and be the first to cross the finish line.
- Disc Throw – Who can throw a disc the furthest?
Again, this just barely touched the surface on the fun we had with the above list of field day games for kids.
Other fun outdoor activities could include obstacle courses or an entire day of only field day water games topped off with a car wash to fundraise for your next community fun day!
Don’t forget, the goal is to simply have fun!
No reason we all can’t have some fun!
Have fun at your outdoor field day games event!