Perhaps the #1 question Colby and I hear once people discover what we do is, “How can I make money blogging?” And, guess what, when we tell them what it takes to make money online; and many never give it a second thought.
Make Money Blogging
Bloggers who can successfully market themselves can draw a healthy income stream to help supplement or fully support the household finances.
Personally, Colby and I have been supporting our family of 7 as full-time bloggers for over 3 years now.
As a professional blogger, you must be willing to put in the time and be prepared to take your skill to another level.
Blogging on a full-time basis is definitely not for everyone, but it can make you good money online if you are the right person.
Blogging isn’t exactly an easy way to make money online. It takes work.
First, let’s talk about what blogging IS.
What is a blog?
A blog is an online journal — or website — in which you will find posts about all sorts of things. Whereas some read just like a personal journal entry, others may be filled with more product or brand information.
For the purpose of this page, and the concept of how to make money blogging, we are going to talk about the later kind.
Once you have moved past the hobbyist and are now ready to make money online as a professional blogger, then this is the resource for you.
The best part about blogging, other than the potential to earn money, is the ability to write content from the comfort of home.
This is obviously an appealing proposition for stay-at-home parents and people looking for legit ways to make money online. You can operate a full-time or part-time blogging business based on your availability and long-term needs.
To start a blog and make money, you will need a few basic tools:
- Computer (desktop or laptop)
- High Speed Internet connection
- Printer/copier/scanner (you can get an all-in-one printer)
- Software (accounting, time management, Microsoft Office, etc.) – Wave Apps is our absolute favorite accounting software and Colby swears by Grammarly for proofreading
- Web Host (self-hosted blogs give you complete control and ownership over your content) – WP Engine can help you run 1 to 150 sites
- Blog theme (a good design can literally make or break how successful you become) – personally I love the Genesis Framework and StudioPress themes, including Restored 316
Now you’re ready to sit down and begin to write something you are passionate about.
Your passion and unique “voice” will help your blog gain loyal followers and recognition, as well as create your own personal brand as you work on becoming a successful blogger.
It will also make it easier for you to post and update your blog on a regular basis because you will be excited about the topics you can share.
Once you get established, you will want to research your niche market and the options available to help you monetize your blog.
Here are a few simple ways to make money blogging:
Ad Programs – Through various ad programs, you can typically be set up and ready to earn money in no time. Some programs require approval, but once you are approved, you can set up the code in your blog and earn a certain amount per click or impression.
The amount varies based on the ad network and your individual pageviews. Do your research to find what works best for your readership. Most bloggers start with Google Adsense.
Affiliate Programs – Most affiliate programs are free to sign up to. Once you sign up with a program, you’ll receive a unique URL to insert into your blog pages for each product you recommend.
Then you simply recommend the product to your readers and if they purchase the product through your affiliate link you receive a commission for the sale. Passive income.
Additionally, Amazon.com is ideal for easily promoting all sorts of products! Become an affiliate marketer by joining your favorite brands’ affiliate program.
3rd Party Networks – Once you begin to drive traffic to your blog posts and your social media accounts grow, you can begin to look for 3rd party blog networks to join.
Whether you create apparel, printables, crafts, ebooks or recipes, put your skills to work and sell them to those in need of your services. Offer an affiliate program to encourage others to share your products for even more exposure and another passive income stream for you.
- How much do bloggers make? This depends on several factors. Bloggers can make anywhere from a couple of dollars a month to 5 or 6 figures a year. It’s all about the work you put in.
- How to get paid for blogging? Start creating content and drive traffic to your blog posts. Grow your readership, email list, and social media accounts. Then pitch for work.
- Is blogging a legit way to make money online? I’ve personally been blogging for over 10 years. Yes, you can make money blogging and earn a blogger salary.
- Do you have a step-by-step process on how to start a blog? I do! Learn more about the So You Want to Blog eCourse and start your blog today.
As you can see, the ability to make money blogging is very possible and can be a fun way to make money online.
Whether you start your own blog or choose to write for others, there are many opportunities available for you to express yourself, help others and make money in the process.
Blogging can truly be a fantastic work-at-home opportunity.