With all of the snow and ice we’ve had lately, it’s been great just to kick back and watch some movies. After all, it helps to free the mind and can be great for quality family time. Plus, with a few new Disney Blu-ray movies out, you can catch up on the latest films!
Family Movie Night
Honestly though, have you ever thought about the benefits of family movie night? If used properly, they can actually be quite beneficial to the family unit. Let me give a few examples of how that could work:
- Encourages communication . After we watch a movie we ask the kids what they thought. We discuss issues in the movie that may have upset the children or raised questions for them. Almost every film has some sort of basic conflict that the main character(s) must face and, often, resolve. Ask questions and discuss the story line in a way that everyone can engage and understand.
- Teachable moments. Think about all of the places movies can take you. Even when you cannot take your family into new cultures or pn daring adventures, movies (like books) can. Go on a journey together for a few hours through the magic of film to learn about the world around us. Then simply talk about the “places you went.“
- Creates memories. At the end of the day, the most precious thing we can give our children is time. By sitting and watching a few movies and engaging in meaningful conversation, we create memories that can last a life time. That in itself is enough some days.
New Disney Blu-rays
Looking for family movie night ideas? Check out two of the latest Disney movies to come to Blu-ray.
You can pick them up at a store near you and head home to watch with the family tonight:
101 Dalmatians: Diamond Edition
Head back to your own childhood with the 101 Dalmatians: Diamond Edition. Pongo, Perdita and their super-adorable puppies are in for thrills, hilarious spills and an epic action-packed adventure when they face off with Cruella De Vil.
Bonus features include:
- The Further Adventures of Thunderbolt:Join Thunderbolt The Wonder Dog & Dirty Dawson right where we left them, going over a waterfall, in this newly created episode of the Dalmatian’s favorite show.
- Lucky Dogs:Some of the lucky humans who got to work on 101 Dalmatians reflect on life at Disney in the late 50’s and early 60’s, the joys and challenges of working on the film and the technological innovation that saved Disney Animation.
- Dalmatians 101: Join our celebrity host as we get the 411 on 101. Hosted by Cameron Boyce from the Disney Channel’s “Jessie” and “The Descendants.“
- Walt Disney Presents “The Best Doggoned Dog In The World” (1961):Take a look in the Disney Time Capsule as Walt Disney introduces 101 Dalmatians on his Disneyland Television show in 1961.
- Take a look in the Disney Time Capsule as Walt Disney introduces 101 Dalmatians on his Disneyland Television show in 1961.
- The Further Adventures Of Thunderbolt – Behind The Scenes: Watch Disney legendary story man Floyd Norman, channel his mentor Bill Peet and continue the story he once started as he boards the next chapter of The Adventures of Thunderbolt.
Alexander and the Terrible, No Good, Very Bad Day
Based on the best-selling book, Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day follows the exploits of Alexander as he experiences the most terrible and horrible day of his young life and wonders if bad things only happen to him. But he discovers he’s not alone when his dad (Steve Carell), mom (Jennifer Garner) and family live through their own terrible – and hilarious – day.
Bonus Blu-ray features include:
- Alexander…in Real Life: When Judith Viorst decided to write a simple story about her son Alexander’s bad day, she had no idea his tale of misfortune would be read by parents and children around the world for decades to come. Forty years later, we sit down with the author and the now adult Alexander to hear how the book changed their lives and how the movie adaptation continues their surreal experience.
- Snappy Crocs & Punchy Roos – The Australian Outback Party: Alexander’s obsession with Australia culminates in an Aussie‐themed party that would make Steve Erwin proud. We’ll hear from the production design team who created the down under soiree and animal wranglers who risk life and limb training snappy crocs and punchy roos. (Blu-ray and DVD)
- Walkabout – A Video Diary: Join Australian native Ed Oxenbould (Alexander) on set during his Hollywood walkabout as he documents his experience with cast and crew.
- And The Delightful, Magnificent, Very Good Bloopers: The fun outtakes from this film prove that the cast grew as close as the family they portray.
- “Hurricane” by The Vamps – Music Video (Blu-ray and DVD)
DMA Discover Exclusive:
- Even More Delightful, Magnificent, Very Good Bloopers: The fun outtakes from the film continue with a second blooper reel.
Disclosure: Our Family Lifestyle is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.