When it comes to choosing a summer vacation destination, the options are endless. However, finding a destination that is family-friendly and will please everyone can be a challenge.
When you hear the words “family” and “destination” together, what comes to mind? Often we think of the most popular touristy type locations.
We hear about them often so they stay in the forefront of our minds. Whereas these can certainly be fun, why not take a chance and go off the beaten path?
If you are looking for some inspiration, here are a few fun family destinations to visit this summer.
Fun Family Destinations
Picking a family vacation destination can be tricky. You want a place that has activities for everyone, is affordable, and is kid-friendly.
Deciding on a destination for some quality family time doesn’t need to be complicated, expensive, or commercialized.
Take a look beyond the typical vacations you hear about others taking and find something new that you can all enjoy together. Make your own memories in new, exciting ways!
Many families enjoy visiting historic sites together during summer vacation. There are a number of reasons why historic sites can make great destinations for families.
For one, historic sites usually have a lot of kid-friendly activities. They often have Junior Ranger programs, scavenger hunts, and other activities that children can enjoy.
In addition, historic sites often have educational opportunities for families. Families can learn about the history of a place together, and they can also learn about the cultures that have shaped it.
Here are some of the best historic sites for families to visit this summer:
- The White House: A visit to the White House is a must for any family visiting our nation’s capital. Tours of the White House are available, but they do require advance planning.
- The Liberty Bell in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania: The Liberty Bell is an iconic symbol of American independence. Families can tour the Liberty Bell Center and learn about the bell’s history. They can also ring the bell themselves.
- Boston Common: Boston Common in Massachusetts is the oldest public park in the United States. It’s also a great place for a picnic, a game of frisbee, or just to relax.
- The Alamo: Located in San Antonio, Texas, the Alamo is a historic site that is rich in American history. Visitors can take a tour of the grounds, learn about the battle that took place there, and see the site where Davy Crockett died.
- Mount Rushmore National Monument: Mount Rushmore, in Keystone, SD, is one of the most recognizable landmarks in the United States. The monument features the faces of four American presidents carved into the mountainside.
- Independence National Historical Park in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania: This park is home to a number of historic sites, including Independence Hall, the Liberty Bell, and many more. Families can explore the park together and learn about the history of the United States.
- The Gettysburg Battlefield: The site of one of the most famous battles in American history, Gettysburg is a must-visit for anyone interested in American history. Visitors can explore the battlefield, see the monuments, and learn about the battle and its importance in American history.
- Colonial Williamsburg: If you want to get a taste of what life was like in the early days of the United States, you can visit Colonial Williamsburg in Virginia. This living history museum lets you step back in time and experience what life was like in the 18th century.
Have animal lovers? One great summer family destination is a wildlife safari! Seeing animals in their natural habitat is a thrilling experience for both kids and adults.
There are many different wildlife safaris to choose from all over the world. Africa is obviously the best-known destination for a safari, but there are also options in South America, Asia, and Australia.
When choosing a wildlife safari, it’s important to pick one that is suitable for your family. Some safaris are quite luxurious, while others are more rustic.
There are also safaris that focus more on education and others that are more focused on simply enjoying the animals.
No matter what kind of safari you choose, there are a few things to keep in mind. First, make sure to pack plenty of sunscreen and hats for everyone in the family. The sun can be intense, especially when you’re out on a walking safari.
Second, be prepared for some bumps in the road. Literally. The roads in some areas can be quite rough, so if you have small children or anyone with motion sickness, it’s a good idea to bring along some medication.
Finally, don’t forget your camera! A wildlife safari is the perfect opportunity to snap some amazing photos of animals in their natural habitat.
So what are you waiting for? Pack your bags and get ready for an unforgettable summer adventure on a wildlife safari!
When the temperature starts to rise, perhaps one of our country’s beautiful natural swim holes should be on the top of your list.
Check out these awesome swimming holes!
- Rainbow Falls, North Carolina: A beautiful waterfall located in North Carolina. Rainbow Falls is a great spot to take a dip and cool off on a hot summer day.
- Devil’s Bathtub, Virginia: This natural pool located in Virginia is a great place to swim and relax in nature.
- The Wave, Arizona: The Wave is a popular swimming hole located in the middle of the desert and is a great place to escape the desert heat.
- Sliding Rock, North Carolina: This natural water slide makes for a great place to have some fun with friends and family.
- Avalanche Lake, Montana: This popular swimming hole in Montana is located in a beautiful mountain setting and is a great place to relax and take in the views.
- Blanchard Springs Caverns, Arkansas: These caverns create a unique and amazing experience known as “living caves” due to how the caverns transform over time.
- Barton Springs, Texas: Find this set of four natural water springs located on the grounds of Zilker Park in Austin, Texas. Perfect for those dog days of summer in Texas.
When it comes to summer travel, the options are endless. It can be tough to narrow it down, especially when you’re trying to please everyone in the family.
More Family Travel Ideas
But don’t worry, here are a few more ideas for summer travel destinations that the whole family will love:
One great option for summer travel is the beach.
Whether you’re looking for a relaxing trip or one filled with activities, the beach has something for everyone. If you’re looking to stay active, you can go swimming, kayaking, or stand-up paddle boarding.
Or, if you’re looking to relax, you can simply lay out on the sand and soak up the sun. No matter what you’re looking for, the beach is a great option for summer travel.
Another great option for summer travel is a theme park.
If your family loves thrills, then a theme park is the perfect destination. You can spend the day riding roller coasters, exploring the park, and spending time with your family.
And, if you get tired of the rides, most theme parks also have other attractions like shows, arcades, and restaurants. So, you can be sure that everyone in the family will have a great time.
If you’re looking for a more low-key summer vacation, then consider camping.
Camping is a great way to unplug and spend time with nature. You can go hiking, fishing, and stargazing.
And, at the end of the day, you can relax around the campfire and roast marshmallows. Camping is a great option for families who love being outdoors and exploring.
No matter what kind of summer vacation you’re looking for, there’s a perfect destination for your family. So, start planning your trip and get ready for some family fun.