Disclaimer: We paid for our cruise and were given the packages mentioned below for the purpose of this review.
Have you booked your Royal Caribbean cruise? Looking at what is not included? What more can you add to make your personal cruise experience perfect?
Thinking about WiFi? A drink package? Considering a specialty dining experience onboard?
I get it! There’s a variety of options to choose from when it comes to cruising, so let’s break it down.
Services to Consider While on a Cruise
Is it worth getting Wi-Fi on a cruise?
You’ll hear people say that they want to “unplug” while on vacation. In fact, you may be part of that camp. But, the reality of the times is that most of us are mostly plugged in.
Even on vacation. And, honestly, I’m the type that wants to stay connected even while traveling.
For example, on our last Royal Caribbean cruise, Colby and I went on a Baltic Sea Cruise—without our kids.
This meant we were thousands of miles away and absolutely needed to stay connected with them.
Therefore, using the VOOM Internet package onboard our ship, we could easily FaceTime, text, and call our kids.
Not to mention, we could help maintain our smartphone apps, monitor weather conditions, and even do a bit of work while on the ship.
Sometimes being plugged in can be conducive to keeping things running smoothly.
Royal Caribbean offers two VOOM internet packages:
- VOOM Surf Voyage Package: lets you message and video chat, browse the web, send emails, and post on social media
- VOOM Surf + Stream Voyage Package: lets you message and video chat, browse the web, send emails, and post on social media; plus stream videos, movies, music and shows
How much are drinks packages on cruise ships?
If it’s your first time cruising, you should be aware that the complimentary drinks on the cruise ship are mainly water, tea, brewed coffee, milk, and some juices.
If you want anything beyond those choices, they can be purchased “a la carte” or with a drink package.
Depending on how much of each you plan on drinking (whether with or without alcohol), a beverage package can save you money in the long run.
The drink packages aboard Royal Caribbean include:
- Water Package: 6, 12 or 24 packs of water delivered to your stateroom
- Classic Soda Package: Fountain soda and refills at any venue, Coca-Cola® Freestyle beverages, Coca-Cola® souvenir cup
- Refreshment Package: Fountain soda and refills at any venue, Coca-Cola® Freestyle beverages, Coca-Cola® souvenir cup, Non-alcoholic cocktails (mocktails), Still and sparkling water, Premium coffees and teas, Fresh-squeezed juices
- Deluxe Beverage Package: Fountain soda and refills at any venue, Coca-Cola® Freestyle beverages, Coca-Cola® souvenir cup, Non-alcoholic cocktails (mocktails), Still and sparkling water, Premium coffees and teas, Fresh-squeezed juices, Cocktails, Spirits, Liquor, Beer, and Wine by the Glass
What is specialty dining on a cruise?
One of our favorite parts about cruising is mealtimes! But it’s not just the food choices; it’s the full experience.
And, yes, the food too.
Being from Texas, we’re totally “meat and potatoes” kind people. Give us a good steak and we’re happy.
For the most part.
The food we don’t get much of in Texas? Good seafood. So a tasty lobster every now and then sounds divine!
We can find both—surf and turf—onboard at Chops Grille℠.
Specialty Dining reservations can easily be made through the Royal Caribbean App and you can even make your reservations online up to 2 days before your cruise begins.
There are also 2 Specialty Dining Packages available:
- 3 Restaurant Package: dine at 3 different venues onboard
- Unlimited Dining Package: For one low price, you can enjoy multiple entrees and visit multiple specialty restaurants every night of your sailing. And as an added perk, this unlimited package also applies to lunch at specialty restaurants on sea days. Plus, enjoy a discount of 40% off bottles of wine under $100 and 20% off bottles above $100 while dining in specialty restaurants
Traveling with the family? Kids ages 6-12 dine for only $10 and kids 5 and under eat free. Plus they can choose from their own kid-friendly menu.
Additional services not included in the cruise price:
- Spa and Salon services
- Gambling (including Bingo)
- Art Auction
- Any purchases made in gift shops onboard
- Shore excursions
- Video Arcade
- Medical Services
- Transfers (unless you have purchased the air/sea package)
- Laundry and Dry Cleaning Services
- Ship to Shore Telephone calls
Do I need the Royal Caribbean App?
Speaking of the Royal Caribbean App, that would be a good final tip here.
The Royal Caribbean app has everything you need to stay organized before and during your cruise, including notifications, online check-in, the new online Guest Safety Briefing required of all guests, and their Guest Health, Safety, and Conduct Policy.
In fact, some features are available only via the App, including the Guest Health Questionnaire to be completed by all guests 24 hours before sailing.
It also has your reservation information, dining times and reservations, and deck plans. Plus, you can find excursions, shows, activities, and more activities in the app while onboard.
And, if needed, you can chat with other members of your travel party so you’re always connected with your travel mates.
Finally, it keeps you on the correct time. No matter where you are—on or off the ship—you can make sure your travel plans are made according to ship time. You don’t have to worry about literally “missing the boat” while docked in your port destinations.
These services are only a few of the options available when you cruise with Royal Caribbean.
What’s on board a cruise ship?
Find spa services, fitness programs, onboard activities, plus fun gifts and more at royalcaribbean.com