Imagine taking a trek through Wild Africa right here in the U.S. Orlando to be exact. No passport needed and you can bring the whole family along. Where? The Wild Africa Trek in Disney’s Animal Kingdom at Walt Disney World.
Wild Africa Trek
Gather your supplies as you prepare to head into the African safari. Guests are outfitted in safari gear that includes a safety vest, wireless headset and water bottle. You are then ready to roam into the safari for a 3-hour adventure to discover the animals of Safi River Valley. A short hike into the Animal Kingdom brings you through the aviary and back into the hidden trails of the park.
The first overview you come across offers a glance at large hippos but your safety harnesses allow you to get even closer. A small cliff overlooking the hippos habitat brings you in closer for more engagement with the animals. As an animal specialist tosses lettuce down as a treat, you are able to observe and learn. For instance, did you know that hippos can open their mouth up to about 150°? Wow!
As you continue to trek through the park, take note of the foliage and various other wildlife along the way. You will soon end up at a shaky rope bridge that will lead you to even more fun… if you dare to pass it.
You are safely strapped in as you walk across missing boards and a net displaying the large hippos and hissing crocodiles just 10 feet below you. Don’t look down unless you are prepared to see the majestic animals below. This was my absolute favorite part by the way!
Once you have conquered the bridges, you are rewarded with a closer look at the crocodiles below. Do not fear if their mouths are wide open. They are not exactly waiting for food to drop into their mouths, they are simply keeping cool. It was described as being like a hot oven opening to let out the warm air.
You are then ready to hop into your safari truck awaiting you after the rope bridge. This is where you head further out into the savanna to view the animals in their habitats. Zebras, giraffes, rhinos, lions and more can be seen as you travel through the land.
Not only will you experience the animals of Africa, you will also dine on African-inspired snacks along the way as you overlook the savanna below.
A sample afternoon menu consists of Chicken curry salad, sun-dried tomato hummus and mini pita, Marinated tandoori shrimp, and fresh fruit marinated in mint and ginger. Plus, you will find a delicate purple flower to eat between servings to clean the palette. Yes! A flower!
After a lovely time spent dining and observing, it’s time to hop into your safari vehicle to head back. The memories have been made, photographs taken (by the Disney team, no less, and included in your trek) and you have helped donate to the Disney Conservation Fund!
Not only do you get up close and personal with the animals, but you help contribute to their well-being in the wild as well. Not bad for a day’s trek through Wild Africa!
Notes to remember about the Wild Africa Trek:
- Wild Africa Trek is $189 to $249 per person, plus tax. Prices vary based on season.
- Guests under 18 years of age must be accompanied by a participating adult (18 years of age or older).
- Participants must be 8 years of age or older and at least 48 inches (122 cm) tall.
- Participants must be between 45 and 300 lbs with the harness gear on. The safety harnesses used for this experience may prohibit Guests of certain body shapes or sizes from participating.
- You must have physical stamina, comfort with heights, and the surefootedness to negotiate small hills, foliage and unsteady rope bridges on this tour.
- Recommended attire includes shorts or pants and a comfortable shirt. Closed-toe shoes with a back strap or hiking boots are required. No flip-flops will be allowed. Skirts or dresses are not recommended.
- Cameras are allowed as long as they can be securely fastened to the vest.
Want to see monkeys in the wild? Be sure to swing into theaters to watch Disneynature’s Monkey Kingdom!
Want to learn more about monkeys in the wild? Be sure to swing into theaters to watch Disneynature’s Monkey Kingdom!
Looking for more clarity in your life?
Sign up to receive practical tips to start journaling to bring more clarity into your life.