If you are a fan of salty and sweet foods like I am, you may also enjoy a little salted caramel. I discovered the delectable combination just over a year ago thanks to Harry London. I know… late to the game. But I have been hooked ever since.
Salted Caramel Syrup
This past weekend we had a few guests over and decided we wanted to make a layered dessert in a cup. As we began to throw around some thoughts, I, of course, went with salted caramel. We tossed out ideas and decided on a Salted Caramel Cheesecake Cup. But, I wanted to make my own Salted Caramel Syrup to top it with. The kids thought I was crazy considering we have caramel syrup in the fridge, but I thought homemade would be much better. It usually is right?
Take a look at how we put it all together! (By the way, I had to laugh at the fact that my teenage son, who helped me make the syrup, did not know caramel was not much more than sugar and water). Okay… now let’s proceed.
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup water
- ¾ cup heavy whipping cream (I have also heard that coconut milk works great)
- 3 tbsp butter, softened
- ¾ tsp kosher salt, ground
- In a saucepan over medium-low heat, heat sugar and water until sugar is dissolved. Stir as needed.
- Once dissolved, increase the heat to bring the sugar water to a boil. Do not stir, but continue to boil until the mixture turns a dark yellow, almost brown color. Do not let it burn.
- Quickly remove from heat and whisk heavy cream into mixture. Expect bubbles once it is added to hot contents.
- Continue to whisk as you add both the butter and kosher salt until well blended.
- Set aside and let stand to thicken at room temperature.
- Serve or save in refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
You can also add more kosher salt to your taste. Our finished caramel syrup had a hint of saltiness because we were using it with salted pretzels. Adjust it to fit your recipe needs. The syrup also worked great as a dip for the sliced apples and apple chips we served.
How will you use the salted caramel syrup?
Make sure to take a look at the complete Salted Caramel Cheesecake Cup recipe to get the full effect of its deliciousness!