Looking back to when we had our oldest daughter, who will be turning 17 in 2 days, I do not think I had a clue what was going on. We were young. Married for only a few months when we found out we were expecting. Everything was happening quickly and I had to prepare for the new life joining our family. There were things to be bought and names to go through. And, as the father of the house, there was extra money needed to support and care for this new bundle of joy. Little did I know that parenthood would require so much more that I could have ever prepped for.
Top 5 Tips for New Fathers
I wish someone had given me sound advice all those years ago. I wish I knew then the things I know now. But, nothing brings you more wisdom than experience. And, after 5 kids, I think I have a little bit of experience. Therefore, I put together my list of tips that may help new fathers out there trying to find their way.
- Invest in Your Children — Investing time is a key piece in any relationship. The time you invest in your children will make a world of difference later.
- Learn Patience — Patience with children s a virtue well received in raising your children. I will be honest and say, “Patience is not easy“… but it IS worth it.
- Build Relationships — Play with your kids. Have fun together playing games or rolling around the floor. Make memories that will last a lifetime.
- Instill Values — I believe that we must instill values at a young age and then mold and fine tune them over time. Others will thank you one day.
- Engage in Conversation — You would be amazed by the kinds of conversation that children can initiate. Have you heard the old saying, “Kids say the darndest thing?” Well, get ready for all kinds of craziness to escape your children’s mouths. But know that there is nothing like it in the world. Engage and learn about their world.
When we had our first daughter, sure… everyone we was offering up advice and critiquing how we took care of her. But, I have come to find out after 5 children that all of them came into this world different and remain that way. They may look similar but each and every one has their own needs and wants. My late Grandmother once told me that if I was going to do something that I needed to put my whole heart in to it. Well, I try everyday to express to my children that I love them. I want them to understand that I will be there whenever they need me. No matter the time. No matter the circumstance. Please realize that I am not proclaiming to be the best dad in the world. But, when I establish that title with my own children then I can proclaim: “Mission accomplished.”
And want a bonus tip? We have used Huggies brand diapers for every child from #1 to #5. Why? Because they do not leak, hold wetness away from the baby, and are the best quality. Everyone will have an opinion, but we have tried them all and found no better brand of disposable diaper.
Join Poncho de Anda on Facebook
How would you like the chance to join Poncho de Anda, TV personality and father of two, on Facebook for a parenting chat? On Thursday, September 20th, from 12-1pm EST you will have the opportunity to ask Poncho de Anda how he tackles the challenges of parenting. Look for the picture of Poncho on the Huggies Latino Facebook page to take part in the chat. (Note: The chat will be in Spanish)
Disclosure: This post is part of a compensated campaign with Latina Bloggers Connect and Huggies. However, all opinions expressed are 100% my own.
Looking for more clarity in your life?
Sign up to receive practical tips to start journaling to bring more clarity into your life.