Throughout my childhood, we would take a road trip that stretched across ten states. We would make a large loop starting in Texas, over to California, and then up back towards Kansas before making our way back south towards Texas. 10 states in 10 days.
And although those trips hold some of my fondest memories, we never got to spend as much time in each state as I would have liked.
As an adult, I still love to take road trips with my kids.
We have taken several multi-state trips, but try to focus more on quality time in each state rather than covering a large quantity of states.
Even as a child, I enjoyed driving through the beautiful mountains and luscious countryside Colorado had to offer.
Now, instead of simply driving through cities, such as Colorado Springs, we are actually be able to take in some of the many family-friendly sites.
In fact, Colorado Springs is consistently named among the top family-friendly cities and places to vacation.
Whether you have a weekend or full week to spend in the area, these unique attractions should be on your
list of top 10 things for families to do:
- Cave of the Winds Mountain Park – Explore massive caves and partake in thrill-seeker rides at one of Colorado’s oldest and most famous attractions.
- Cheyenne Mountain Zoo – Visit America’s only mountain zoo! Experience unforgettable adventures with breathtaking mountain scenery and more than 900 animals from around the world, including more than 30 species of endangered animals. Plus, don’t forget to bring cash to hand-feed the giraffes!
- Cripple Creek & Victor Narrow Gauge Railroad – The old steam locomotive transports you back to the gold mining days of Cripple Creek & Victor, Colorado through the scenic landscape of the area.
- Garden of the Gods Park – A registered National Natural Landmark, Garden of the Gods Park offers dramatic views of 300′ towering sandstone rock formations against a backdrop of snow-capped Pikes Peak and brilliant blue skies.
- Helen Hunt Falls – Take a hike to the top of the falls where you can take in a view of the city from the North Cheyenne Cañon.
- Manitou Cliff Dwellings – Explore the fascinating architecture of the ancient Anasazi and browse through two museums featuring cultural displays all overlooking the historic town of Manitou Springs.
- Manitou Springs – Known for its eight naturally carbonated mineral spring fountains, a trip to Manitou Springs can bring healing benefits to its visitors.
- Old Colorado City – The historic city features a blend of historic character and small-town charm with something for everyone who visits.
- Pikes Peak – Enjoy America’s most famous mountain which features breathtaking scenery as you drive the scenic Pikes Peak Highway, take in a picnic, or hike along one of its many trails.
- Royal Gorge Bridge & Park – Soar 1,200 feet above the roaring Arkansas River on America’s highest zip line, enjoy a peaceful gondola ride, or simply take in the views from the Park.
As you can see, whether you’re a thrill-seeker or simply looking to enjoy the many magnificent views of Colorado Springs, there is plenty to see and do during your stay.
What’s on your list of things for families to do in Colorado Springs?
Visit Colorado Springs to see for yourself what makes the city the ideal family escape!
Disclosure: This post has been sponsored by Colorado Springs CVB.
Looking for more clarity in your life?
Sign up to receive practical tips to start journaling to bring more clarity into your life.