Okay, back when I was a teenager, metal braces were all we had when it came to teeth straightening. Now? Invisalign offers clear braces to help you get those straight teeth. I wish I had know about them when our oldest was in need.
I wore braces for 2 years while in high school, whereas Colby wore his for 8 years! Therefore, I was not surprised when our oldest, now almost 19, had to get braces early on. When Chey was 10, her orthodontist decided to try braces on just the top teeth. After about 6 months, they took them off and hoped it would be enough. Alas, no, at 14 Chey had to have a whole mouth full of metal braces. She wore those for 2 years and was never happier to get them removed. Now we can already see that one of our middle girls, Jaci, will need braces as well. Good thing Invisalign Teen is available to both pre-teens and teens.
Fortunately, we were able to sit and talk with an Invisalign orthodontist recently (in the midst of an 80’s themed party) who answered all of our questions. He really helped remove any doubts we may have had about the Invisalign treatment plan and helped solve a few myths.
- Myth: Invisalign is more expensive than traditional braces.
Fact: The cost of clear braces is typically comparable to the cost of traditional braces and many dental insurance plans cover Invisalign just like braces.
- Myth: Losing an aligner will be costly.
Fact: You get up to six free replacement aligners with Invisalign Teen.
- Myth: Invisalign treatment plans take longer that traditional braces.
Fact: The length of Invisalign treatment is comparable to braces and may vary depending on severity of the case and can only be determined by a doctor. The average Invisalign journey for adults takes about 12 months. The length of treatment time for teens may vary depending on the severity of the case and can only be determined by a doctor.
One truth we discussed in detail was the foods you could not eat while getting Invisalign treatment. Whereas with traditional braces, Invisalign does not have all of the dietary restrictions. See for yourself:
Even sticky gum does not have to be off limits with Invisalign!
Want a soda? Once again, you can continue to eat and drink your favorite foods while wearing Invisalign.
With braces, there are certain foods you must stay away from, so it’s nice to know with Invisalign you can eat what you like.
And those are just a few examples of the myths there are about Invisalign Teen. Best place to get answers? An Invisalign provider. Find a doctor near you! If you’re in the Denton/Collin area, Dr. Trevor Bodine, DDS, MS, was fabulous as he talked to us. Set up a consultation if you are local.
As a quick overview, here are basic facts about Invisalign Teen:
- clear aligners straighten teeth without traditional wires and brackets giving teens the confidence to live life to the fullest while improving their smile
- eliminates emergency ortho visits for broken wires and brackets and requires fewer appointments since several aligner sets are provided in advance
- just as effective as traditional wire and bracket braces and can correct the most common teeth straitening issues
- includes up to six free replacement aligners, although clinical data from orthodontists confirms teens wear their aligners an average of 21 hours per day, just as recommended
- aligners are made with small blue dots (compliance indicators) that gradually fade as aligners are worn to act as a quick visual check for parents and teens to confirm they wearing aligners long enough to get results
- teens can play sports without fear of injury and continue cheerleading, musical instruments, acting, singing, and other activities with little to no interference
What is one thing you learned or were “set straight” about Invisalign or Invisalign Teen that you did not previously know?
Looking for more clarity in your life?
Sign up to receive practical tips to start journaling to bring more clarity into your life.