Okay, so maybe the idea of eating green food is not exactly appealing to most. But, when it comes to holidays, you get creative right? I mean, St. Patrick’s Day is all about the green. Therefore, these green St. Patrick’s Day Cake Mix Cookies are just what the leprechauns ordered!
St. Patrick’s Day Cake Mix Cookies
St. Patrick’s Day recipes are just a festive way to make green foods fun for everyone! I mean, I know my kids don’t particularly care for foods of that color, but they do like cake mix cookies. So, there’s that at least.
How to make cookies from cake mix
I have to be honest though, I didn’t know you could make cookies from cake mix until a friend introduced me to the idea. I literally never thought that far out of the box – the cake mix box, that is!
But, I have since discovered that a box of white cake mix can give you the perfect St. Patrick’s Day cookies in no time! A few preparation steps make clean up easy and, afterwards, your left with a delicious, green treat to share with family and friends for a Happy St. Patrick’s Day.
Making cookies from cake mix not only saves you tons of time, but also makes baking with the kids easier. Yes, baking from scratch is still the best way to go, but every once in a while I think it’s okay to go a simpler route by making cake batter cookies.
Look at how easy it is to make cookies with cake mix:
- 1 box of white cake mix, any brand
- 2 egg whites (using the entire egg will cause the dough to turn yellow)
- ½ cups vegetable oil
- green food coloring
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350° and line your baking sheet with foil or parchment paper (easy clean up).
- In a medium bowl, combine the cake mix, egg whites and vegetable oil.
- Add in 2-3 drops of the green food coloring and mix. If you want the dough more green add a few more drops of food coloring.
- Use a tablespoon to scoop the dough and roll between your hands to form a ball. Roll the ball in the powdered sugar. Place the dough balls on your baking sheets 2-3″ apart.
- Bake 8-10 minutes and sprinkle with more powdered sugar after baking.
The recipe makes approximately 24 cookies. That means plenty of cake mix cookies to leave at the end of the rainbow… or share with family and friends this St. Patrick’s Day!