There is nothing that says “summer” more than being out on the patio at home, enjoying barbecue and beverages while the heat of the day warms you inside and out. Summer is a great time to enjoy friends and celebrate good times that will give you memories for years to come.
Outdoor Entertainment Essentials
From the backyard BBQ to summer block parties, there are plenty of ways to get outside during the summer. One of the first things we bought for our new house (even before we moved) was outdoor patio furniture. I knew we would be spending plenty of time outside and wanted to make sure we were ready! As you begin to prep your own outdoor entertainment essentials checklist, these ideas will further prepare you with necessities so you’ll have everything you need for successful outdoor entertaining.
- Patio Set with Umbrella: This is a perfect grouping of furniture, consisting of a table and chairs, to bring a center to the outdoor activities. This gives people a place to sit and visit, as well as eat their food without a mess. Be sure to choose a set with a built-in umbrella. Believe me, when the sun is beating on you and you need some shade, you will be thankful you did!
- Variety of Seating: In addition to the patio set, have a variety of seating available for guests. Different types of chairs and groupings make it easy for people to decide, for example, whether they are in the mood to take it easy and relax on reclining chairs or be surrounded by a larger group around a table.
- Citronella Candles: No one enjoys swatting at pests while trying to enjoy the company of friends. In your backyard party kit should be at least a few citronella candles. These will repel unwelcome visitors such as mosquitoes. Ticks also shy away from this scent, so keep these burning and troublesome insects will be less likely to crash your party. Due to their popularity, these come in a variety of fun shapes to suit the mood of your particular outdoor theme.
- Food Covers: Make sure to have a variety of food covers in different shapes and sizes. If a few unwelcome visitors do end up making it to your summer feast, they will be stopped from partaking. Many people lose their appetites while witnessing a variety of bugs landing and crawling on the food being served, so do everyone a favor and cover up. These little tents saved us during our last block party!
- Barbecue Grill and Tools: What is an outdoor party without a barbecue grill? Food has an extra kick of flavor when cooked on one—not to mention the convenience of being able to make your meal while soaking up the summer heat.
- Fire Pit: Whether dug into the ground or bought as a piece of equipment, a fire pit can give your party the wow factor you are looking for. Young and old alike enjoy sitting around the fire. And don’t forget the marshmallows and roasting sticks to go along with it!
- Cooler: There is no reason for any host to be running back and forth to grab drinks or food from the fridge. Use a cooler, or several, to store everything from drinks to produce.
- Ice: Speaking of coolers, buy several large bags of ice. This keeps items cold while in a cooler or bucket, or can be put directly into drinking cups. Many hosts have regretted not stocking up on ice, so be prepared with more than enough beforehand.
It doesn’t necessarily take a lot of time or money to make outdoor entertaining possible. A few on the list are big ticket items but will bring you a great return in convenience and peace of mind. Many are smaller and less expensive but just as necessary in your preparations. Take a look and make sure you have what you need to make your next outdoor party a success.
Disclosure: Our Family Lifestyle is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.
Looking for more clarity in your life?
Sign up to receive practical tips to start journaling to bring more clarity into your life.