When our daughter announced she was pregnant, and after I got over the emotional journey of it all, I immediately began shopping for baby essentials and clothes.
Okay. Lots of clothes. Basically, she’s not here yet but owns a ridiculous amount of clothes! But, we all know that’s mostly for our enjoyment, not the baby’s. As long as they have the basic layette, they’re good to go!
- one-piece pajamas
- mild detergent, such as Dreft
Of course, the nursery is another fun place to spend your money, but your newborn will, again, only need a few basics.
- firm mattress (SAFETY TIP: should be less than two fingers fit between mattress and crib)
- baby monitor
- rocking chair (or arm chair great for feedings)
- diaper changing station/table
My son, who loves sleeping under a weighted blanket, is still struggling with the idea that his niece doesn’t get a blanket in her crib. But, she still needs a few things in her crib.
And the soft stuff can hang out in the crib and look pretty when the baby isn’t in the crib!
Baby Bedding Checklist:
- fitted crib sheets
- washable crib mattress pads
- mattress protector
- light receiving blankets
- wearable blanket/sleepbag
- SAFETY TIP: stuffed animals, bulky blankets, pillows, and crib bumpers are no longer considered safe for babies
Bath time can go either way depending on how much your baby enjoys the water. Out of our 5, we had a couple that really didn’t enjoy it. We’ll see how the grand baby likes it!
- baby bathtub
- baby shampoo
- baby body wash
- soft washcloths
- hooded baby towels (or at least some soft towels)
- baby hairbrush
Of course, after bath your little bundle of joy will most definitely need a diaper. Now, everyone has their opinion on which (disposable) diaper brand you should use, all I know is after 5 babies, this is the only brand I trust.
And I made that decision with my first one, tried another brand with #2 and again with #3, and went right back to my first choice. I mean, for what it’s worth. So it’s also the only one our daughter trusts. Now, what else besides diapers is involved in diapering.
Diaper Time Checklist:
- changing table or mat
- diaper cream (such as Boudreaux’s Butt Paste Diaper Rash Ointment; it provides the thickest barrier of protection against diaper rash)
- baby wipes (WaterWipes are a great allergy-free option)
- diaper pail (optional)
- diaper bag/caddy
- waterproof changing pad (easier to wash and clean up)
Sometimes, this is also the best time to think about or notice any health issues or grooming.
- baby nail clippers or blunt scissors
- baby thermometer
- Baby First Aid Kit
- gas drops, such as Gripe Water
- infant fever reducer
- bulb syringe or baby nasal aspirator
Ready to feed your baby?
Whether breastfeeding or bottle-feeding, there are feeding essentials to help make the process go smoother.
- bottles and nipples (even if breastfeeding, these are great for supplemental feedings and for milk storage after pumping)
- pump (speaking of breastfeeding)
- milk storage bags
- nursing pads
- nursing bra
- nipple cream
- burp cloths
- bottle brush
- bottle warmer (great for late-night bottle feedings or when Dad is in charge with bottles of frozen milk for the baby)
- nursing pillow (The Boppy® Feeding and Infant Support Pillow not only lifts babies to a more ergonomic position for comfortable feedings, but also transitions to support them as they grow offering the perfect spot for propping, tummy time, or sitting!)
- formula (obviously essential to bottle-feeding moms)
- pacifiers (optional, of course)
And perhaps the biggest set of newborn essentials is in the baby gear category. You never realize how much your baby needs until you start looking for that perfect car seat!
Baby Gear Checklist:
- infant/convertible car seat (convertible car seats can convert from rear-facing to forward-facing and accommodate toddlers up to 30- to 40-pounds)
- baby carrier (There are several to choose from, but only one Dad Shirt™! The Lalabu Dad Shirt is the first babywearing shirt designed exclusively for dads. On its own, it’s a sporty V-neck t-shirt. Slide baby into the cozy pouch, and it’s a new dad’s easiest way to bond with baby!)
- baby rocker/swing
- baby bouncer
- high chair
- tummy mat
Whew! Alright, now here are a few optional (based on your thoughts or research), yet still relatively practical items you may want to add to your registry or wish list for your newborn baby:
- cool mist humidifier
- newborn hats
- no-scratch mittens
- plastic hangers
- nursing/car seat cover
- infant toys
- night light
- medicine spoon
- travel-size wipes holder
- insulated bottle holder
- pacifier clip or WubbaNub
Most importantly though, shower that baby with lots of love and affection. Other than changing, feeding, and sleeping, it’s all your baby really needs!
Win Baby Essentials!
To help you get started, we have a Boppy® Feeding and Infant Support Pillow for one of you! Plus, we’re throwing in a WubbaNub, NailFrida the SnipperClipper Set, Boudreaux’s Butt Paste, The First Years Simple Serve Bottle Warmer, and Diaper Caddy Organizer.
Entering is easy using the form below!
Giveaway open to U.S. addresses within the contiguous U.S. and ends at 11:59pm CST on 11.11.2018. Good luck!