My kids are well past the fun toddler age, but I have the unique opportunity to team up with a great group of bloggers to bring you gift ideas for children of all ages this year! The next holiday gift guide in the series features great gifts for toddlers and preschoolers with Courtney Byrne from The Chirping Moms.
Great Gifts for Toddlers and Preschoolers
Toddlers and preschoolers are great ages for giving holiday gifts. They are just old enough to realize they are getting gifts and the magic of the season, but young enough to not have too much of an opinion of what gifts they’re getting. So if you’re shopping for a toddler or preschooler this holiday season, have fun and know they’ll be so excited as they tear through the wrapping paper. This holiday season, I have a toddler and a preschooler and I’m trying to stick with gifts I know will get used all the time and will inspire creativity and lots of play. Here are my recommendations for the best gifts for toddlers and preschoolers:
- Mini Boden: Clothes, pajamas and warm weather accessories are all excellent gifts for toddlers and preschoolers. At that age they are growing so fast, so clothing is always an appreciated gift by the parents. Our favorite brand for holiday gifting is Boden. If you’re not familiar with Boden, they are a British family clothing brand where they say “quality is everything”. The clothes really hold up to lots of play. Two adorable holiday gifts for toddlers and preschoolers are the Mini Boden Knitted Reindeer Jacket and Reindeer Booties. The Knitted Reindeer Jacket is super cozy on cooler days, with adorable buttons and fun details like 3D eyes. And because it’s machine washable, it’s practical too. The Reindeer Booties come in a special box, perfect for gifting. We also love their line of pajamas. For this age group, be sure to browse the Baby Boden and Mini Boden lines.
- Kid Trax Ride On Toys: Kid Trax ride on vehicles are tons of fun and they have a 6V version that’s perfect for toddlers and preschoolers. One of our favorites is the CAT Tractor. The CAT Tractor ride-on from Kid Trax looks like the real thing with a sturdy, functional dump bucket and realistic foot pedal acceleration. My boys drive this around and fill the dump bucket with dirt and rocks! There are rubber traction strip tires for a better grip on slick grass and pavement and a top speed of 2.5 mph. This ride on is meant for ages 3+ but KidTrax also has an awesome option for toddlers. The Disney Pixar Cars 3 Lightning McQueen Parent Steer Assist 6 Volt Ride On is for ages 18-24 months. This version comes with a steer assist bar for parents to help in steering the ride on but still has the 6V power so it’s like THEY’RE really driving. These two toys are sure to be a huge hit!
- Dolls: When my girls were toddlers they got their first dolls. Some of the dolls they got when they were just 2 or 3 years old, they still play with today. I would recommend a Bitty Baby from American Girl. They are well made and you can add on accessories as other gifts for the holidays or upcoming birthdays. They also make cute clothes for the dolls and children to match, which is always fun!
- Building Toys: If there’s one toy that kids never seem to get bored of, it’s a few good sets of building toys. They love to build different cities & towns, towers, etc. Some of our favorite building toys include wooden block sets like the ones from Melissa & Doug and Lego Duplo.
- Books: I always think books make the best gifts for kids. They don’t take up space, are educational and there are so many fun titles to enjoy. Activity books are also great for this age. For holiday specific recommendations, click here. Here are some must-have books for toddlers & preschoolers:
The Day the Crayons Quit || Press Here || The Book With No Pictures || Goodnight, Goodnight, Construction Site || Llama Llama Holiday Drama || Wipe Clean: Early Learning Activity Book || We’re All Wonders || Little Kids First Big Book of Animals || An Elephant & Piggie Biggie! || Preschool Sticker & Activity Book
- Teepee or Playhouse : A teepee or a playhouse is a wonderful gift for a toddler or preschooler. It’s a big gift and does take up space, but you can look for versions that are easy to fold and store. Our favorite for both a teepee or playhouse is The Land of Nod. Their teepee is well made, easy to fold and store and is played with every single day in our house. My kids play with it both inside and outside.
- Play Kitchen: We’ve had a play kitchen over five years and it is still one of our most used toys! This is one thing that the kids love to play together. They can pretend to cook meals or play restaurant. In the summer we often bring it outside and add water to the fun! There are so many different play kitchens to choose from and plenty of deals to be had this holiday season. A few we like: KidKraft, Step 2 and Land of Nod.
- Trains: Trains and train tracks are a perfect gift for toddlers and preschoolers. This is going to be the big gift in our house this year for my toddler and preschooler. You can go with the ever so popular Thomas line or something like these trains from Land of Nod. We’re going to do a combo of the two!
- Dollhouse: Dollhouses are a great gift for toddlers because it’s something special that they will play with as they grow. We got a special dollhouse for my daughter when she was about 18 months and she still plays with it all the time at almost 8. You can get furniture and dollhouse people that are suited for toddlers and preschoolers and then change it out as they grow. This is definitely a special gift that will last. There are so many beautiful dollhouses. One of our favorites is this one from Hape as it’s very gender neutral.
- Little People: Little People are perfect for this age group. They are easy to hold and great for imaginative play. There are people, animals, cars, houses and more. There are even character sets. We’ve given Little People sets to each of my children when they were toddlers and preschoolers at the holidays and all of the sets have been well played with. Our favorite sets are the zoo and the farm.
Looking for more clarity in your life?
Sign up to receive practical tips to start journaling to bring more clarity into your life.