Is your family beginning to prepare for Halloween? Will there be costumes and trick-or-treating? Before you head out, Energizer wants to share a few Halloween safety tips for kids to keep everyone safe out there.
Halloween Safety Tips
The kids have already picked out their Halloween costumes and are making plans. We typically spend the bulk of our evening on October 31st at our local church. There is a fun-filled Trunk-or-Treat where the kids can see their friends, enjoy free cotton candy and hot chocolate, and ride ponies. Not to mention, as parents, Colby and I feel a lot safer about the candy the kids get. We still look it all over but have never had a problem with any of it.
But, even though our kids spend most of their night walking around a closed, secure parking lot, we still do a bit of trick-or-treating on our way back home. The walk is just long enough to hit quite a few houses and get the full Halloween experience. That also means we need to make sure the kids are prepared and safe as they walk through the crowded neighborhood streets.
Fortunately, Energizer has great Halloween Safety Tips for kids and parents to keep us all aware.
- Plan a trick-or-treat route ahead of time. Create a route that avoids major intersections, but does have safe crosswalks and sidewalks. If there are no sidewalks, be sure to walk facing traffic as far to the left as possible. Always look both ways before crossing any street.
- Find new ways to celebrate the holiday. See if your neighborhood offers a “trunk-or-treat” option as an alternative to traditional door-to-door trick-or-treating. These events are great for younger children or in neighborhoods that might be difficult to navigate on Halloween night.
- Keep a portable light on hand (or head). As the sun sets, you don’t want to be caught in the dark. Energizer portable lights ensure you’re ready to hit the streets on Halloween night:
o Energizer® LED 2 in 1 light Fusion Flashlights – Compact and versatile, Energizer Light Fusion Technology products are convenient, water resistant and provide impressively bright long lasting light—easily seen by drivers and other pedestrians. o Headlights – Powerful Energizer LED headlights are lightweight and convenient – perfect for keeping hands free. That way, you may hold your child’s hand, while their other clutches the ever-important candy container. The headlight can even add to or be a part of a costume!
- Pick the right costume. Choose lightly colored costumes, while avoiding head-to-toe dark selections. Make sure the costume fits properly and shoes are comfortable. If possible, avoid masks and opt for face paint so that vision is not impaired.
- Walk, don’t run. Take your time and walk; don’t run from house to house on Halloween night. Use Energizer portable lights to be aware of decorations or other obstructions in yard and on sidewalks to avoid trips and falls.
- Be selective. Only visit well-lit houses and avoid stopping at dark houses. Remind your children to stay in groups and never accept rides from strangers or enter homes without a parent or guardian.
- Charge your devices. Make sure to charge cell phone and ensure that your flashlight has fresh batteries. Energizer® MAX® with Power Seal Technology is long-lasting and no leaks guaranteed*. Use your cell phone for necessary communications (and adorable photos), otherwise keep it in a purse or pocket to avoid distractions. (*Energizer will replace device if there are issues. Check their guarantee.)
What Halloween safety tips would you add to the list?
Learn more about the Energizer products mentioned above, as well as others, by visiting Energizer.com.
Looking for more clarity in your life?
Sign up to receive practical tips to start journaling to bring more clarity into your life.