Disclosure: Our Family Lifestyle is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.
Colby and I have had this “clutch saying” since we began dating almost 24 years ago. Me & You. No, probably not original, but it’s ours. It has even become the theme to our bedroom ever since we began working on refreshing it recently. So, I wanted to make something special for the room and decided on this DIY Me & You State Canvas Art.
State Canvas Art
If you know anything about Texans, you know we are a proud state. I mean, “Don’t Mess with Texas.” Now don’t get me wrong, I realize we are not alone in this pride thing. But since I am a Texan, it’s all I know! I do love traveling to every other state though!
Anyways, back to my fun craft! I am a big fan of canvases. No idea why. They just always draw my attention. I love walking through Hobby Lobby and checking them all out. So, I decided to try to make one of my own. I must admit, I am pleased with how it turned out! It makes a great addition to our bedroom!
- Stretched Canvas (I chose 8 x 10 but you can pick whatever size you like)
- Painter’s tape
- Paper (card stock may work best)
- Printed outline map of your state
- X-ACTO Knife
- Paint, your choice of color
- Foam brush
- Small paint brush
- Heart sticker (or paint your own if you can free hand it)
- Chipboard letters
- Rubber Cement
- Print out the outline of your state and use the X-acto knife to cut it out. Then tape it to the canvas with the painter’s tape. (use small pieces for easier filling in later)
- Using the foam brush, paint the canvas all around the state outline. I also painted the chip board letters and ampersand (&).
- Carefully remove state cut-out once paint has dried. Fill in around the edges with small paint brush to clean up the outline. Add a small heart sticker over your city.
- Let dry and then position, and subsequently, rubber cement your words onto the canvas.
That’s it! You’re ready to position it on the wall, shelf, table… wherever you think it will look best.
You could even add ribbon to the back for hanging. Make it your own!