Did you know there are around 50 million pumpkin pies consumed each Thanksgiving?
But, even more interesting, is the fact that National Pumpkin Pie Day actually falls on Christmas Day, December 25th.
So, which day will you be enjoying your pumpkin pie? Both?
Holiday Baking Tips and Tricks
Fortunately for you, no matter when you decide to enjoy a pumpkin pie, Albertsons and Tom Thumb Executive Chef Jeff Anderson has some tips and tricks to help the holiday baking season go smoother for you.
Not to mention, he gives you alternatives to the traditional pumpkin pie with recipes like his delicious Pumpkin Bread Pudding with Pumpkin Spice Whipped Cream.
Let’s talk about his holiday tips and tricks, using a wide variety of quality, affordable products from Lucerne® Dairy Farms available exclusively at your local Albertsons and Tom Thumb stores, and then move on to making the recipe as tasty as can be!
Get ahead of the game
I know that we always start cooking early on holiday mornings. There is a lot to do and the kitchen comes to life at the crack of dawn.
Chef Jeff suggests preparing items that can be made ahead of time and freezing until it’s ‘go time!’
As an example, freeze your Pumpkin Chocolate Rolls made with Lucerne® Pumpkin Flavored Cream Cheese and then pop them into the oven before guests arrive so they are greeted with the delicious smelling aroma when they walk through the door!
No matter what time of year you’re cooking, this is the first thing I teach my kids to do as well. Before diving into cooking and baking, check your pantry, refrigerator, and freezer to make sure you have all the essentials.
Need to do some last-minute shopping? No worries! Tom Thumb and Albertsons shoppers can order groceries for delivery in one-, two- or 4-hour windows with Grocery Delivery!
Keep extra flour and sugar in the pantry, stock up on an 18 count of Lucerne® Eggs, and store Lucerne® Butter in the freezer so you have it on hand to make last-minute dishes for the parties you’ll be attending or hosting!
Gather, Measure, Ready
Before you begin baking your scrumptious treats, organize all your ingredients, utensils, and baking materials.
Use these simple steps to help you prepare and not waste any time in the kitchen:
- Gather: Pull together all your ingredients.
- Measure: Before you get your hands dirty, pre-measure your dry ingredients such as flour, salt, dairy, spices, etc.
- Ready: Get your oven pre-heated before you started, so there is no waiting around.
Read over your recipe a few days in advance.
When menu planning, make notes, check your inventory, and think through everything you’ll need to prepare the recipe.
Save yourself the stress and don’t try recipes for the first time when cooking for a large group!
Pumpkin Bread Pudding
- 2 Loaves Baguette or French Loaf, sliced 3.4 inch thick
- 6 Lucerne® Whole Eggs
- 1 cup Lucerne® milk
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 2 tablespoons Lucerne® unsalted butter
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
Pumpkin Spice Whipped Cream
- 1 cup Lucerne® whipping cream
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/8 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Butter an angel food cake pan or muffin tins. Combine the egg, milk, sugar, spice, salt and pumpkin puree in large mixing bowl.
- Add sliced baguette to custard. Mix well. Layer in Bundt pan with bread, saving nice perfect pieces for decorative top.
- Bake in 350' oven; in water bath, begin covered and then remove foil to allow browning. Cook for approx. 45-60 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool.
- For whipping cream, hand whip to soft peak, fold in spice, sugar and extract. Continue to whip to firm peak.
- To serve, remove from Bundt pan and slice. Garnish with Pumpkin Spice Whipped Cream.
- Note: if using muffin tin, bake for 25 minutes in water bath, cover for first 15 then remove foil and allow to brown.
Now that we have Chef Jeff’s holiday tips and tricks, it’s time to put them into action with a delectable recipe straight from the Albertsons and Tom Thumb test kitchens: Pumpkin Bread Pudding with Pumpkin Spice Whipped Cream.
You can find all the ingredients at your local Albertsons or Tom Thumb.
Don’t forget, the Tom Thumb Delivery App lets customers order groceries any place, any time, and scan barcodes to quickly add items to their cart.
To celebrate the launch and provide customers with additional savings, shoppers placing Tom Thumb grocery delivery orders by Dec. 4 will receive $10 off their first order in addition to FREE delivery by entering the promo code GROCERIES at online checkout.