This post may contain affiliate links, which means I’ll receive a commission if you purchase through my links, at no extra cost to you. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. [Learn more]
I’m sure we’ve all seen our fair share of April Fool’s Day pranks over the years — sugar in the salt-shaker, salt in the sugar bowl, someone tells us we’ve had a foot of snow overnight, and woe to the unsuspecting co-worker about to sit on a whoopee cushion at the big meeting at work. April Fool’s jokes can be entertaining, and for some, just about anything goes.
April Fool’s Day Pranks
In fact, these antics can get rather detailed and require a lot of preparation. But, keeping in mind that kids are often more sensitive than adults, here are some fun, yet harmless, ideas for April Fool’s pranks to play on your kids.
Want to kick start their day with a laugh? Try these morning antics to get the fun started:
- Have two heavy sleepers? Sneak in after they’re asleep and gently lift one child into the other child’s bed and vice versa. Be sure you’re there to see the looks on their faces as they wake up in the wrong place.
- Hand them their toothbrush all ready to go, but swap out the toothpaste for cream cheese or frosting!
- Put a piece of plastic wrap under the lid of the shampoo bottle. Your family will have no idea why a full bottle won’t pour.
- For an easier prank, you could switch the breakfast cereals from one box to the other and watch the shock as Raisin Bran fall into the bowl intended for Lucky Charms.
- Food coloring in the milk is an easy trick that will surprise your children as you pour.
- Along the same lines, you can make green eggs and ham for your family.
- Set the alarm clocks an hour or two early, then take everyone out to breakfast.
While the kids are at school, spend a bit more time prepping for these high jinks:
- Take a screenshot of the computer screen and leave it open. Your Minecraft addict will think the computer is frozen. AGH!
- Put a sticky note (“April Fool’s!“) on the bottom of the mouse. It won’t work.
- Switch the language on their phone or iPad to Greek, Russian, Mandarin… watch them sweat as they try to switch it back. (But don’t be alarmed at how quickly they can do so.)
- Fake phone call. There are apps out there that will make it look as if a phone is receiving a call from a false caller. How would your child react to a phone call from Shawn Mendes or Taylor Swift?
- Tell your child her teacher called and said she had a behavior problem at school. Be sure to tell her “April Fool’s” before she gets too worked up.
- Make a fake dinner by surprising your family with cupcakes for dinner! Bake meatloaf in muffin tins and “frost” with mashed potatoes. (Be sure to add colorful food coloring to the mashed potatoes for that extra touch of realism.)
April Fool’s Day can be a great time to have a lot of fun with your kids. Keep in mind that you need to know your child — the easily frustrated child won’t like a spraying water faucet trick, and the sensitive child might be terrified to hear the teacher called. Know your child, use your gut, and remember that it’s all about having a little fun!