Colby and I decided that instead of presents under the tree this year, we wanted to give our kids experiences. We wanted to take a road trip to create lasting memories with our children by giving them our presence — rather than things. Amazingly, it went incredibly well! After 8 days on the road, we made it home in one piece… and we were all still talking to each other when we pulled into the driveway! No doubt the 2016 Kia Sedona had a bit to do with how well our trip went.
2016 Kia Sedona
This was not our first time in the Kia Sedona, but it was our longest trip in one. We were thrilled when given the opportunity to drive it for our #GUSroadtrip because it is definitely the kids’ favorite minivan. Funny thing is, I always said I would never drive another minivan. Now, as much as the girls love riding it, Colby and I actually enjoy driving it. And after almost 3,000 miles across eight states, we are even more knowledgeable about what all it has to offer. Let me explain why the 2016 Kia Sedona is the perfect road trip minivan.
Of course, the first thing you notice about any vehicle is the exterior. But, there is more to the outside of the Sedona than may meet the eye. Take a look at the features that we found most helpful on our drive across a variety of regions and landscapes:
- Heated Outside Mirrors – Heating elements in the glass help keep frost off the mirrors to improve visibility. We drove through so much snow that we had to use the heat often. It literally kept us safe on the road, even when others around us were not so cautious in their driving.
- Dual Power Sliding Doors – With kids, luggage, snacks and more to carry in and out of hotels on a daily basis, having the ability to push a button or gently pull on a handle to open the sliding doors was everything. You can control both side doors from inside or remotely with the Smart Key—allowing for easy, effortless entry and exit.
- Smart Power Liftgate – Again, when one push of a button on your Smart Key opens the liftgate automatically for you, it’s pure bliss with the amount of luggage we had with us on this trip! By the way, you can also customize the liftgate height to fit your ceilings, reach, and other comfort needs.
- Dual Power Sunroof – The Front Row Tilt/Sliding Sunroof gives you an enhanced airy experience at just the right amount, whether fully opened or tilted for added ventilation. Rear-seat passengers can also enjoy the open-air experience with a 2nd Row-Power Sliding Sunroof. Separate controls allow independent operation of the Front and 2nd-row sunroofs. When you are stopping for photo opps inside a National Park, these sunroofs are excellent for allowing everyone the perfect shot!
Speaking of the sunroofs, let’s step inside and get a look at the comfortable, luxurious interior of the Sedona!
- Steering-Wheel-Mounted Audio, Hands-Free Phone and Cruise Control Buttons – Cruise Control was our next-in-line best friend on the road. Having the ability to simply push a button and click a dial up or down to accelerate or slow down was fabulous! Additionally, you can adjust the radio volume, change channels and handle calls with your BLUETOOTH®-enabled phone all from your steering wheel. Which, by the way, can also be heated!
- Charger Ports and Power Outlets – There was plenty of technology in the vehicle, and with 12-18 hour driving days, there was plenty need to recharge. The 2.1-amp USB charger ports, 12-Volt Power Outlets, and 115-Volt Power Inverter provided plenty of ways to keep us all “plugged in” quite literally.
- Tri-Zone Automatic Climate Control – The Tri-zone Automatic Climate Control System offers individualized temperature for the driver, front passenger, and rear-seat passengers.The cluster ionizer helps to clean the cabin air and keep the interior smelling fresh. Any time there is more than one person in a vehicle this is absolutely a necessity.
- Driver’s Seat Power Lumbar Support, 4-Way Power – Hours upon hours on the road, Y’all. This–> The 4-Way Driver’s Seat Power Lumbar Support lets you adjust lumbar support firmness and height for maximum comfort—no matter how long the drive.
- Heated Front and 2nd-Row Seats – We went through a lot of snow and cold temperatures. For Texans, this is not anything we’re used to. The heated seats saved our booties — literally!
- First-Class Lounge Seating – I think this is probably the kids’ favorite feature. The Sedona SXL is true luxury with genuine recliner seats that provide adjustable lower leg support and an extraordinary 11 inches of fore-aft movement. The First-Class Lounge Seats also deliver 3.3 inches of lateral travel—for additional space between your 2nd-row companion as well as easy access to the 3rd row.
Always one of the main features I look at and admire, the technology. The 2016 Kia Sedona more than exceeds my needs and I am excited about it all!
- SiriusXM Satellite Radio – Y’all, we were going in and out of cell service with every turn through the mountains and snow. The one thing that remained constant for us was the SiriusXM Satellite Radio. Not even kidding! With over 130 channels, including 69 that are 100% commercial-free music and entertainment, the tunes coming from the Sedona kept us all entertained.
- Voice-Command Navigation with 8″ Touch Screen Display & SiriusXM® Traffic – Okay, we were on a road trip! The Navigation was the most important piece of technology we had in the minivan. The maps were easy to look at and the Voice-Commands were loud, clear and detailed. Plus, real-time highway traffic helps you navigate the most efficient route to your destination. You definitely do not want to do a road trip without this very important
- Rear-Camera Display – When you’re in reverse, the Rear-Camera Display relays a live image of what’s behind your Sedona. For added convenience, a vehicle footprint showing vehicle width is superimposed in the display. This is especially handy when navigating large rocks and lots of people within National Park areas we discovered.
- Smart Cruise Control (SCC) – I mentioned cruise control, but Smart Cruise Control (SCC) is incredible! SCC helps you maintain a safe distance between you and the vehicle ahead of you. Paired with the Forward Collision Warning System (FCWS) and the Lane Departure Warning System (LDWS), the Sedona keeps you and your passengers safe on the road.
- Trip Computer – The Trip Computer displays your fuel efficiency, remaining fuel range, and other helpful information. When you’re driving across long stretches of road with no idea where you are or where the next service station is, it’s important to know how much gas you have and where the next chance to fill up will be.
This isn’t even an exhausted list of all that the 2016 Kia Sedona has to offer. This is simply the highlights as far as our needs during the road trip. Head to your local Kia dealer and take a test drive! Push a few buttons and look around. Experience the difference and take note — this is not your mom’s minivan!